CYPRUS PAPHOS - NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
PAPHOS DISTRICT ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM Dighenis street Tel: (26) 240215 Attractive collection of Cypriot antiquities from the Paphos area, dating from the Neolithic Age to 1700 AD.
BYZANTINE MUSEUM In the premises of the Bishopric Elysee str. Tel. (26) 232092 An interesting collection of objects from the Byzantine period, including Byzantine icons from the 12th to 18th century.
ETHNOGRAPHICAL MUSEUM Exo Vrisy Tel: (26) 232010 Interesting private collection of objects from the Exo Vrisy Tel: (06) 232010 Interesting private collection of objects from the Neolithic Age to the present day.
TOMBS OF THE KINGS Wide area containing underground tombs carved out of solid rock dating to 4th century BC, many decorated with Doric pillars. Whether Kings were buried here or not, the magnificence of the tombs gave the locality its name.
AYIA SOLOMONI CHURCH Kato Paphos, St. Paul street. Originally a Christian catacomb. A sacred tree stands at the top, which, according to tradition, cures the diseases of those who hang a personal offering on its branches.
THE MOSAICS OF PAPHOS House of Dionysos, House of Theseus and the recently excavated House of Aion. Kato Paphos, near the harbour. Tel: (26) 240217 The amazing mosaic floors, of these 3rd century AD noblemen.'s villas, are considered among thefinesinthe Eastern Mediterranean. They mostly depict scenes from Greek mythology and are beautifully executed.
PAPHOS ODEON A small 2nd century Odeon entirely built of well-hewn limestone blocks. It was uncovered by the Cyprus Department of Antiqu-ities in 1973-4 and is now regularly used for musical and theatrical performances.
SARANTA KOLONES Kato Paphos, near the harbour. This castle was built in the first years of the rule of the Lusignans (beginning of 12th century) maybe on the site of a previous Byzantine Castle. It was destroyed in the earthquake of 1222.
PAPHOS CASTLE Kato Paphos Originally built as a Byzantine fort to protect the harbour, it was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, then dismantled by the Venetians in 1570, who found themselves unable to defend it against the Ottomans, who in their turn restored and strengthened it after they captured the island.
PANAYIA LIMENIOTISSA BASILICA Kato Paphos Dating from the Early Christian period, probably early 5th century and dedicated to 'Our Lady of the Harbour'. Almost completely destroyed during the 7th century Arab raids.
THEOSKEPASTI CHURCH Kato Paphos, facing the harbour. Theoskepasti means 'Veiled by God' and according to tradition, God sent down a fog to protect the original church during the Arab raids. The modern church was built in 1923.
PETRA TOU ROMIOU Birthplace of Aphrodite, 25km from Paphos. According to legend, Aphrodite mythological goddess of love and beauty, rose from the waves in this strikingly beautiful spot. The Baths of Aphrodite at Polis and the"Fontana Amorosa" - Fountain of Love - also echo her apparent penchant for the island. At Kouklia lie the remains of the Goddess's earliest Sanctuary.The Greek name, Petra tou Romiou "THE ROCK OF THE GREEK" is associated with the legendary frontier-guard of Byzantine times Digenis Akritas who kept the marauding Saracens at bay with amazing strength. It is said that he heaved this large rock into the sea destroying the enemy's ship.
LEMPA 5 kilometers from Paphos. Lempa village can be singled out as one with historic significance. In its pretty setting near the sea, Lempa's link with prehistory is the site of a chalcolithic settlement.Today the faithful reconstruction of several dwellings, gives an insight into chalcolithic life on the island. Near the site replicas of two houses from this period have been constructed.
AYIOS NEOPHYTOS MONASTERY Founded around 1200 by the Cypriot hermit and writer Neophytos. The Encleistra or Enclosure carved out of the mountain by the hermit contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes dating from the 12th to 15th century. In the Monastery's church there is an interesting collection of icons and remains of 16th century frescoes.
CHRYSOROYIATISSA MONASTERY Set in beautiful surroundings, this monastery, dedicated to Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate, was originally founded in the 12th century but the present building dates to 1770. The monastery has a collection of important icons and treasures. An impressive religious ceremony and celebrations are held on 15th August. Recently the old winery of the monastery was reopened and produces some of the best vintage wine available in Cyprus.
BATHS OF APHRODITE An area of breath taking beauty associated with Aphrodite. According to legend, the goddess Aphrodite used to bathe in the pool of the nearby natural grotto, which is shaded by a fig tree. A trail from the Baths takes you to Fontana Amorosa (8 km from the Baths, at the end of the Akamas Peninsula). Walking along this trail, one can enjoy an incomparable view and unspoilt nature.
PANAYIA CHRYSOPOLITISSA CHURCH AND BYZANTINE BASILICA Kato Paphos Built in the 13th century, over the ruins of the largest early Byzantine basilica on the island. Within the compound, one can see the so called St. Paul's Pillar, where according to tradition Saint Paul was flogged at some time before the Roman Governor Sergius Paulus was converted to Christianity. Excavations are still going on.